KMEX-TV in Los Angeles delivered another ratings "first" in Los Angeles by outdelivering all of L.A.’s English-language stations in average audience among the key demographics of Adults 18-34 and 18-49 for all three of its weekday newscasts. For the first time in the station’s history, KMEX-TV’s 6:00 a.m., 6:00 p.m., and 11:00 p.m. newscasts are the highest rated newscasts in their time periods, outdelivering all stations in Los Angeles, regardless of language. Additionally, KMEX-TV is the leading station in average "sign-on to sign-off" ratings among the primary demographics most sought by advertisers, including Adults 18-34, 18-49, and 25-49. In the competitive Prime Access time period, KMEX-TV dominated over its competition among all key demographics, including Adults 25-54. This is according to the February 2001 demographic ratings just released by Nielsen Media Research for the Los Angel!
es DMA. Highlights from the February "sweeps" (February 1st to February 28th) include:
* At 6:00 a.m., KMEX-TV’s early morning local newscast, "Primera Edición," introduced in January 1999, is for the first time, the most watched early local newscast in Los Angeles among Adults 18-34, 18-49, and 25-49.
* At 6:00 p.m., KMEX-TV maintained its dominance among Southern California newscasts, again capturing the title of "most watched early local newscast" in Los Angeles among all stations for all key demographics. Among Adults 18-34, "Noticias 34" has ranked number one for nearly eight years (since May 1993) and among Adults 18-49 for nearly seven years (since May 1994). The station maintained its stronghold of the 6 to 7 p.m. news window with its network news, "Noticiero Univisión" at 6:30 p.m., also soundly defeating its competitors among viewership among all key demographics.
* In the 11:00 p.m. local news race, KMEX-TV’s "Noticias 34" captures the #1 position among Adults 18-34 (+15% from February 2000) and among Adults 18-49 (+17%).
* On a "Sign-on to Sign-off" basis (Monday to Sunday, 6 a.m. to 2 a.m.), KMEX-TV is the highest rated station in Los Angeles among Adults 18-34, 18-49, and 25-49, posting ratings growth from February 2000 among Adults 18-34 (+10%) and Adults 18-49 (+4%). By contrast, the ratings for virtually all of L.A.’s English-language stations are down from last February.
* In the competitive Prime Access time period, KMEX-TV ranked number one among all key demographics by a wide margin with the first–run novela "Locura de Amor" [Madly In Love], outdelivering all stations, including KTLA-TV ("Friends"/"Seinfeld"), KTTV-TV ("Drew Carey"/"The Simpsons"), and KABC-TV ("Jeopardy"/"Wheel of Fortune"), among others.
* In Primetime, KMEX-TV, with its popular telenovela lineup including "Abrazame Muy Fuerte" [Hold me Strongly] and "Mi Destino Eres Tu" [You Are My Destiny], is the highest rated station among Adults 18-34 (+15% from February 2000) and second to KTTV by only a tenth of a rating point among Adults 18-49 (+6% from February 2000). With the exception of KCBS-TV, the Primetime ratings for all of L.A.’s English-language stations are down from last February.
Other ratings highlights from the February sweeps:
* KMEX-TV’s Daytime line-up (Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.) outdelivers all other stations in Los Angeles among average ratings for Women 18-34, 18-49, and 25-49.
* In Early Fringe (Monday through Friday, 4 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.), KMEX-TV is the leading station in Los Angeles among average ratings for Women 18-34, and ties (with KVEA-TV) among Women 18-49.